Thursday, November 26, 2009

I've been thinking about this a lot today, and I've decided it's completely fascinating living in a country where your national holiday isn't celebrated. Everyone just goes about their day like it's any other, all while across the ocean, people are waking up from sleeping in and moving themselves into the kitchen, where they will prepare for an evening of (to quote my friend Eleanor) "eating their faces off." Granted, when I did my food shop today, there were several Americans about doing the same exact thing as me, but still. Most people were just in Tesco to buy a sandwich.

Anyway, I'm going to my friend's house to celebrate, and while I don't have the means or the time to roast a turkey (thank god for Marks & Spencer's pre-prepared meals), I shall be making all manner of other food, like mash and stuffing and pumpkin pie! I've also made a super-secret festive dessert that involved smashing candy with a knife, which was pretty fun, if I do say so. Hopefully there will be photos to follow...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment